I don't need to know all your business..

Ryan and Calli <3



When I first started in this business I thought "wow this is amazing, I have such a large sphere of influence, so many friends, acquaintances, family members, etc that I can help with buying and selling homes"
Year one in the business, not going to lie, I had 2.5 sales, yes I will explain the half... one sale to friends of mine, bless their beautiful hearts (Thank you -Pictured left), one sale to my parents (In Toronto- Love you guys), and the half sale was a property sale I had been working on that had so many amendments we should have moved on, but it did close eventually in January.

So what was the reasoning being the lack of sales when I knew so many people? Well I assumed the obvious, a lot of people already have an agent they are loyal to, totally fine and makes sense. I also assumed since I was new to the industry (only by way of licence not experience) what do I know?!

But a friend of mine brought up a really good point, she said "Some people close to you probably don't want you to know their financial situation and sharing that info with a stranger is easier"
Bingo.. I found out this is a lot of peoples concerns.

So let me tell you.... I DO NOT need to know your financial situation to list your home, or even help you in finding one.
Home Buyer/Seller: "No way?! Seriously?? I don't need to share my income, what we owe on the home, what we bought it for, what we are needing as a bottom dollar amount" ... this list goes on and on.

The answer is no. You can keep that confidential and completely private.

If you are buying a home with me, I just need to know budget for home purchase - the magic pre-approval amount so I can best find homes in your price range and not show you something that is out of your budget. Basically, my goal is to find you the perfect home and not make you house poor.. not try and show you something you'll fall in love with and outstretch your pocket book.

If you're selling your home with me, yes I can see what you paid for it through our registry system, but that is confidential and can stay between us; but also know that all other agents have the same access to that information as I do.
 I also don't need to know what you have left owing on your home, if you have a mortgage or not, if you have a line of credit on it, etc.

All I need to know is:
1) What updates you have done to the house (if any), and associated cost so it can be showcased.
2) If you're comfortable pricing it at a price comparable to other solds - unless you have a specific price in mind that you would like to get for your home (then we can have a conversation over the research I have done, market conditions, time period for selling and chat about the perfect listing price).

So in short, I can help you buy or sell, and you only need to tell me what you want to. The end.

If you're looking for advice on the market, or assistance with buying or selling property, please don't hesitate to reach out. I love my job and I really love helping people even if it is sharing market trends, or discussing design ideas, I'd love to chat anytime.




Comments